What’s Our Expectations In This Process?
We will create a guest Oracle Linux virtual machine on Oracle VM VirtualBox with a Single Node Vision VM Template Appliance. And we will configure it as EBS rapid-express installation standarts for version 12.2. In this process we will also exercise basic Unix Shell Scripting skills on Oracle Linux 6 for less system administrator more “developer” “mates”. After Installation/configuration process will have a 12.2.3 version R12 EBS enviroment that helps us to examine differences between older versions of EBS on particular areas such as http/servlet services on application tier (Weblogic Server) and file system structure.Before we start this virtualization process, we need some requirements ;
- Virtual Disk Space : 500 GB
- Actual Disk Space Used on File System : 256 GB
- RAM : 6 GB
- A post modern CPU
- An Oracle E-Delivery account
- Totally around 18 hours (Depends on your network connection) to Finish End to End process including downloading and post-configuration.
- Cups of coffees!
First of all, we are starting this flow by loging in the https://edelivery.oracle.com/linux side and selecting Oracle VM Templates as product pack and x86 64bit as Platform. Then we download releated files as follows ;
- V43683-01 Oracle EBS 12.2.3 Single Node Vision Install X86 (64 bit) Linux x86-64
- V43684-01 Oracle EBS 12.2.3 Single Node Vision Install X86 (64 bit) Linux x86-64
- V43685-01 Oracle EBS 12.2.3 Single Node Vision Install X86 (64 bit) Linux x86-64
- V43686-01 Oracle EBS 12.2.3 Single Node Vision Install X86 (64 bit) Linux x86-64
- V43687-01 Oracle EBS 12.2.3 Single Node Vision Install X86 (64 bit) Linux x86-64
- V43688-01 Oracle EBS 12.2.3 Single Node Vision Install X86 (64 bit) Linux x86-64
- V43689-01 Oracle EBS 12.2.3 Single Node Vision Install X86 (64 bit) Linux x86-64
- V43690-01 Oracle EBS 12.2.3 Single Node Vision Install X86 (64 bit) Linux x86-64
We need to download 16 zip files from E-delivery. Sum of these files cost 53 GB . Also it is important to verify files after download, i do this with Digest (SHA-1) for each file using DownloadManager (Mozilla). We can find SHA list on edelivery download page.
After finishing download we need to unzip all files then we need assemble all .ova files in a single .ova file . Oracle gives us a assemble script on this document 1620448.1 . But i wrote my own .bat file on windows its simple ..
ECHO “Starting Assemble…”
Copy /B Oracle-E-Business-Suite-12.2.3-VISION-INSTALL.ova.00+Oracle-E-Business-Suite-12.2.3-VISION-INSTALL.ova.01+Oracle-E-Business-Suite-12.2.3-VISION-INSTALL.ova.02+Oracle-E-Business-Suite-12.2.3-VISION-INSTALL.ova.03+Oracle-E-Business-Suite-12.2.3-VISION-INSTALL.ova.04+Oracle-E-Business-Suite-12.2.3-VISION-INSTALL.ova.05+Oracle-E-Business-Suite-12.2.3-VISION-INSTALL.ova.06+Oracle-E-Business-Suite-12.2.3-VISION-INSTALL.ova.07+Oracle-E-Business-Suite-12.2.3-VISION-INSTALL.ova.08+Oracle-E-Business-Suite-12.2.3-VISION-INSTALL.ova.09+Oracle-E-Business-Suite-12.2.3-VISION-INSTALL.ova.10+Oracle-E-Business-Suite-12.2.3-VISION-INSTALL.ova.11+Oracle-E-Business-Suite-12.2.3-VISION-INSTALL.ova.12+Oracle-E-Business-Suite-12.2.3-VISION-INSTALL.ova.13+Oracle-E-Business-Suite-12.2.3-VISION-INSTALL.ova.14 Oracle-E-Business-Suite-12.2.3-VISION-INSTALL.ova
ECHO “Assemble finished”
Then we need to import single .ova file to Oracle VM Virtual Box from file>import appliance menu;
Then we need to change network adapter to Host-Only Adapter from VM Manager, if you are using public networks like British Library, it is possible to have new problems with types like Bridged Adapter and that would costs your hours 🙂
After ending the VM appliance, we boot it. In first boot VM comes with pre-configured linux version , so we don’t need to do any changes for starting SSH protocols or any necessary services for OS. We need to enter new passwords for root in boot screen, applmgr, oracle users .After that patch 18545803 is necassary for last version of appliance scripts, this will update .sh files which is using in installment process . then when patching is finished , we run /u01/install/scripts/configdhcp.sh to configure host and domain names (default values are ebs.example.com , ebs as host ,example.com as domain , i gave ebs.lonict.com for that process. ) . Then we run /u01/install/scripts/cleanup.sh to force force configuring next boot.Finally we boot the machine with reboot command. after reboot we need to check network configurations as follows ;
After finishing network configurations we run vision configuration scripts , these are asking you db host-domain names and SID while processing . ;
/u01/install/VISION/scripts/visiondbconfig.sh script with root user , this script refines db config files for autoconfig then automatically starts db tier services.
- /u01/install/VISION/scripts/visionappsconfig.sh script with root user , this script refine application config files for autoconfig then automatically starts all application tier services . Before running this script we should check that database services is up(TNS listener).
Then we need to run autoconfig for all db and application tier . before running autoconfig we must set enviroments (.env) . We should check doc 387859.1 from support.oracle.com , this document includes detailed information about autoconfig process. I run both autoconfig process with oracle user. And don’t logout! After finishing both db and application autoconfig we need to check enviroment variables as oracle user ;
Now we have an EBS platform with these default passwords ;
- root-oracle-applmgr / <user defined passwords>
Then we must change ~/.bashrc for both oracle and applmgr users .This initializes enviroment variables in every login for each session ;
- For oracle user /home/oracle/.bashrc
- For applmgr user /home/applmgr/.bashrc
After adding last two line both must look like that ;
Also we need to append our <host> .<domain> (ebs.lonict.com) with 192.168.56.101 to c:windowssystem32driversetchosts file to connect our VM guest machine from Windows .Now Check ! EBS 12.2.3 Platform and Weblogic Console from these URLs 😉 ;
- EBS : <host> .<domain>:8000/OA_HTML/AppsLogin
- Weblogic Console : <host> .<domain>:7001/console/
Now we finished configuration , there are some key administration scripts that we need to check while shutting down the VM. these are under $ADMIN_SCRIPTS_HOME directory , and we must always run some of these scripts before shutdown ;
- $ADMIN_SCRIPTS_HOME/adstpall.sh (this stops all application tier services)
- $ADMIN_SCRIPTS_HOME/adstrtal.sh (this starts all application tier services )
Before shutting down VM we need to shutdown all db and application services as follows ;
On every boot of VM , db and application services are being started so we don’t need to start these services manually.We completed End to End Virtualization E-Business Suite 12.2.3 process .
Enjoy R12 – 12.2.3 now your VM is ready for development!!!
Refereced Oracle Documents ;
- Doc ID 1620448.1 : General installation process for Virtual Box
- Doc ID 387859.1 : document that includes Autoconfig details
- Doc ID e22950-17 : Installation Guide: Using Rapid Install